Wednesday, May 28, 2014

This shall be called: The way we love, or the body of Christ

As I write this it is 1:45pm and storming in the Ivory Coast and I will be there in a week. I head to Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO) tomorrow. I spent much of yesterday working on packing and will finish that job up today. It's crazy and suddenly so real.

 The other day, at church, I shared with the congregation the mission I'm joining in the Ivory Coast this summer. In turn, they prayed over me. I don't know if you've ever experienced that, but it's  incredible. When you're surrounded by this community... when the weight of these people is on you, yet they lift you up... when you hear them whispering prayer, words of care and support... I don't know how else to to explain it but to say that is the body of Christ. I hope you all experience that sometime. I'm getting on a plane to the Ivory Coast, but I couldn't make it without everyone else, I can't do it alone. After each service people would come to me, asking questions, granting encouragement, and most importantly, promising prayer. Most of these were people I'd known my entire life, but some know only my parents, and one was actually a visitor. I can't begin to say how much this all means to me, how loved and full I felt. Looking back, however, I feel a little conflicted. You see, I think this is how the body should always act, not just with people that are going overseas on a mission trip, but with everyone. We should always be listening, we should always be encouraging, we should always be praying for our brothers and sisters in Christ. Because wherever you follow God's call on your life will be full of temptation, and wherever you follow God's call will be dangerous. Wherever you follow God's call important, and good. So encourage your family of believers, pray for them. Remember that your call, be it school, or work, in the United States or Timbuktu, is vital to God's Kingdom. Be the body of Christ out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment